FEDERAL RESERVE BANK OF SAN FRANCISCO
Our Work Protects the Dollars of Everyday Americans
SENIOR APPLICATIONS DEVELOPER – JAVA
LOCATION: San Francisco, CA
Why Work For The Fed?
At the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, we believe in the diversity of our people, ideas, and experiences and are committed to building an inclusive culture that is representative of the communities we serve.
Are you passionate about large bank supervision and being a part of a dynamic team? Interested in an opportunity to collaborate with colleagues in the 12th District and across the Federal Reserve System (FRS) in a wide range of supervisory activities related to large firms’ financial resilience? If yes – then read on!
Fulfilling Careers That Make a Difference
The Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco is looking for a Sr. Application Developer with a focus on Cloud development, to join the Statistics and Reserves (STAR) team. At our Bank, we have always supported telecommuting, and when we shift from our “work from home posture”, it will be in a hybrid model, allowing for generous telecommuting options. We know flexibility is very important to our employees, now more than ever!
As we embark on building the Central Bank of the future, enabling Cloud and machine learning, we are looking to add a passionate team member who has design and coding ability with the JAVA stack, and who is highly motivated to learn and grow their skills.
Do you like to innovate and experiment? Are you looking to further deepen your technical relevance using the latest tools and technologies? Are you interested in doing this in an organization that can also offer you a work life balance? If so, we want to hear from you!
The Statistics and Reserves application suite (STAR) collects information from Banks and other types of Depository Institutions. We analyze and process this collected data and provide valuable and critical information to our Board of Governors, Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council (FFIEC), Federal Economists, the Treasury, and Congress. Our systems also calculate Reserve Balance requirements, monitor maintained Reserve Balances, and deliver accounting statements to Banks and other Depository Institutions. Our work *directly* impacts the best-known function of the Fed: decisions made around interest rates.
As our STAR Sr. Application Developer, you will help us design, develop, and implement high quality technology solutions within mature environments that address STAR business needs. You will work closely with our development team members, members of the Federal Reserve National IT organizations, and our business partners. Additionally, you will participate with other Business and Systems Analysts in identifying standard methodologies and process improvements for the requirements definition and management process areas, and in introducing new processes and tools to development teams. This position may require some weekend and after hour’s coverage supporting application deployments, business activities, and acting as a point of escalation should severe issues be encountered.
Highlights of Responsibilities:
- Develop an understanding of the Statistics and Reserves business areas and grow strong relationships with the business partners.
- Understand, analyze, and clarify high-level requirements and handle their breakdown into detailed requirements, either in the form of use cases, user stories, or other methods.
- Translate user requirements into technical artifacts including data model, business scenarios, workflow diagrams, file layouts, report layouts, and consolidated business rule matrices.
- Analyze and ensure efficient transition of all requirement and functional design documents into technical designs and code artifacts
- You will develop various application code to fulfill business and functional requirements.
- Ensure that application and implementations stay in sync with secure coding standards and internal FRB security requirements.
- Participate in code reviews and help ensure solutions are aligned with defined architectural specifications.
- Communicate developer questions and concerns to business users and management and vice-versa.
- Develop process models, data diagrams, support procedures, and other documentation as needed.
- Assist the Project Coordinator in developing project planning artifacts and estimates.
- Perform System/Integration/Regression testing of new development and problem reports as needed.
- Support test teams during QA.
- Provide education and training as needed to business users, application development, application support, and test teams.
- Assist with implementation planning.
- Act as a point of escalation when needed to help triage and resolve production issues. Use business and system knowledge to analyze change requests, recreate problems, and differentiate between education/training issues and true production problems.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Systems/Programming or related subject area, or equivalent experience
- Typically requires five years of related development experience.
- Confirmed expertise in designing and developing applications using JAVA and REST Architecture.
- Experience in developing applications using Spring Framework.
- Technical expertise in the design, development, coding, testing, and debugging of software.
- SQL and other Oracle database tool experience.
- Must be passionate and driven to learn and apply new technologies and methods of software development, driven to experiment and innovate.
- Must possess demonstrated knowledge of software development methodologies, SDLC, Agile, and version control practices.
- Must possess strong business acuity, excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Advanced troubleshooting and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated leadership skills with confirmed collaboration techniques.
- Strong analytical, multitasking, and time management skills.
- Willing and able to support occasional weekend and after hours coverage.
- Must be a US Citizen, or a Green Card Holder with the intent to become a US Citizen.
- Experience with software build tools like Maven and continuous integration tools like Jenkins.
- Exposure to DevOps practices.
- Exposure to cloud-based application development.
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- Pre-tax Flexible Spending Account
- Backup Child Care Program
- Pre-tax Day Care Flexible Spending Account
- Vacation, Days Sick Days, and Paid Holidays
- Pet Insurance
- Matching 401(k)
At the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, we offer a wonderful benefits package including: Medical, Dental, Vision, Pretax Flexible Spending Account, Paid Family Leave Care, Backup Child Care Program, Pretax Day Care Flexible Spending Account, Vacation Days, Sick Days, Paid Holiday’s, Pet Insurance, Matching 401(k), and an unheard of Retirement / Pension.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.
At the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, we believe in the diversity of our people, ideas, and experiences and are committed to building an inclusive culture that is representative of the communities we serve. The Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco is an Equal Opportunity Employer.